Our bodies undergo numerous changes during pregnancy that impact on our emotional, hormonal and physical balance. Reflexology can support your body during pregnancy and ease common ailments, reduce stress and anxiety, promote energy and positively affect well being.
Benefits of Reflexology:
- Balances hormonal changes: significant hormonal changes take place during pregnancy. Reflexology can help to balance and support these hormonal changes.
- Improves sleep, increase energy levels and decreases stress and anxiety: when we are stressed and anxious our body produces more cortisone and adrenaline. Reflexology helps to release oxytocin and endorphins, the body’s hormones for relaxation. Thereby counteracting the effects of stress and improving sleep.
- Relieves muscular-skeletal lower back and pelvic pain: Reflexology works with the entire spine and pelvic region to help balance discomfort.
- Relieves nausea and vomiting: the exact cause of morning sickness is not known; however, it is often thought to be caused by the rapid increase of the HCG hormone in early pregnancy. Reflexology not only helps the body balance the endocrine system helping to adapt to changing hormones, but also stimulating the pancreas area can help to balance blood sugar levels and working directly on the stomach areas can help alleviate digestive discomfort.
- Alleviates digestive problems: the digestive system also has to adapt and work harder during pregnancy, in addition to the morning sickness and cravings, constipation and heartburn are also common. Reflexology can help to sedate and balance excess stomach acid and alleviate pain in the oesophagus helping to reduce heartburn. Working with the intestine can encourage regular bowel movements.
- Reduces oedema: reflexology can help in two ways, firstly through the direct acupressure massage on the feet and ankles and secondly it can help to stimulate the lymphatic system so that it can carry the excess fluid away from the feet and lower legs to the kidneys and out of the body.
Why not add an aromatherapy leg and foot massage on to your treatment too!